If birth is not linear, and the body cares little about stages, stations, and centimeters, why do we continue to use this medical language to define and describe a physiological process?
What if instead of focusing on these external postmarks to define progress, we described birth as a series of related and concurrent aspects under our clients’ influence, to help them connect with the process that is unfolding inside their bodies, draw them deeper into labor-land, and increase their confidence and participation in their own birth?
Let’s explore what that new birth model looks like, how it can be applied to situations where physiology is hindered, and what happens within the birthing mom when she’s not waiting for external cues to assess birth flow.
- Describe the 4 entwined aspects of physiological birth presented within this model.
- Describe ways in which clients can begin to support these 4 aspects during pregnancy, to later improve labor flow.
- Describe ways in which clients can support these 4 aspects during labor, and your role as facilitator.
- Reconsider the need for demarcation of a separate pushing state, learn how to convey evidence and physiology to help clients internalize this new concept, and discuss how this can be put into practice within the common hospital approach towards the pushing stage (whether it be directed or not).
- Explore birth scenarios where interventions may be suggested or required (prodromal, PROM, inductions, epidurals, GBS+), focusing on how to best support physiology, within the boundaries imposed by the interventions.
- Discuss ways in which this new birth model promotes birth ownership, and increases birthing confidence.
- 9:00 am – 9:15 am – Registration and Sign-in
- 9:15 am – 9:30 am – Introductions
- 9:30 am – 12:00 am – Rethinking Prenatals
- 12:00 am – 1:00 pm – Lunch (on your own)
- 1:00 pm – 3:30 pm – Rethinking Prenatals (continued)
- 3:30 pm – 4:00 pm – Wrap-up, Evaluations, and Certificates
Step away from centimeters, stages and stations, to rediscover birth as a series of related and concurrent aspects under our clients’ influence.
Help your clients:
Connect with the process
Draw themselves deeper into labor-land
Increase confidence and participation in their own birth!
Let's do it!
Want to bring this workshop to your neck of the woods?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org, and let's make it happen!